Saturday, May 15, 2010

Why Cloth?

We started Hank out in cloth diapers right around 2 months old. I was interested in cloth when I was pregnant, but my husband wasn't game, so we went the sposie route. When Pampers switched to DryMax, Hank's bottom didn't agree with it, so we went on a hunt for our new diaper. We tried everything, but nothing was just right. After I did some research, I was appalled at what I was reading about disposable diapers--not just the landfill/waste aspect, but the things they put in the diapers. After I showed Mike some of my research, especially the part about cost savings, he agreed to a cloth trial--and we've been a fluff family ever since!



Interesting diaper facts:


  • The bleaching process used for most disposable diapers creates dioxins, which are known to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive disorders.

  • A common diaper ingredient, sodium polyacrylate, is known to cause toxic shock syndrome.

  • Over 92% of all single-use diapers end up in a landfill.

  • A single disposable diaper can take 250-500+ years to decompose.

  • You can save approximately $1,200 on your first child in diaper costs by using cloth, and save up to $2,000 on each additional child by reusing the cloth diapers.


The Real Diaper Association has a great information page set up:
http://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php

No comments:

Post a Comment